Daisypath Anniversary tickers

5.23.2010

The Other Night...

...I was holding my newborn baby girl and as I looked into her eyes, I was overwhelmed with emotion!! I have felt so much LOVE, JOY, PEACE, CLOSENESS to the SPIRIT as I've looked into their (both my children's) eyes. More so with Reagan now, as a newborn, than with Drew, as a toddler, I see my reflection in her eyes and wonder what she sees. Does she feel a connection to me as I do to her as our spirits reconnect after being apart for these 34 years? I thought about how my two beautiful children were given to me...ME...and how much they depend on me...ME... for so many things!! It caused me to reflect on my Earthly Parents and then one step further (of course) to my Heavenly Parents!!



Just as Reagan and Drew depend on ME for LOVE, COMFORT, and CARE...I too must and do depend so much on my Heavenly Father for ALL those things and so much more!! I am eternally grateful to my Heavenly Father for the HEAVENLY GIFTS he has entrusted me...ME...with!!

I've been reading a book my parents gave me for Mother's Day...it's called, Unlikely Truths of Motherhood by Katie Van Dyke. When I started reading this book I had been the mother of two for a mere 3 1/2 weeks. She shares a journal entry she wrote just after giving birth to her 6th child. Her words RING so true to me and are exactly how I have felt these past several weeks!!

She writes, In My Baby's Eyes
"My baby and I locked gazes today. He had been fussing, and as soon as he looked into my eyes, his crying stopped immediately. I cooed and talked to him for a moment until I realized that by looking into his eyes I was seeing my own reflection. But my reflection through my baby's eyes was not the me I know-- through the spirit, I recognized it as the me I can become. As my baby gazed up at me, I understood that he does not see my shortcomings and insecurities. He sees someone who will love him unconditionally and care for him unrelentingly. He does not see the fear and fatigue in me. Rather, he sees someone who will learn and endure. My baby sees the person Christ sees, and locked in his gaze, I wanted to become that person. . . looking into them, I'm drawn closer to heaven. Looking into them, I'm drawn closer to the person I want to be. Isn't it me that is supposed to be teaching that to my baby? What a surprise to be instructed by one so young."

I'm so, so, so grateful for the many wonderful things Motherhood has opened my eyes to... both physically and, most importantly, spiritually!

7 comments:

Kacey said...

ooooooh...I LOVE that.

Shayna said...

LOVE LOVE this post! You are such a great mother

Heather said...

So true and well said Amos. I remember one night holding Noah and having a very similar experience. LOVES!

Julie said...

That was so profound and beautiful! Thanks for sharing it.

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

What a joy to see you my beautiful daughter and the wonderful, caring and loving mother that you are!! my heart sings with happiness for you!! Love you!!!

Marilee said...

Amy thanks for sharing that! The spirit is close and the veil thin when we hold our babies! Thank you for the reminder of the blessing it is to be a mother!

Nicole said...

Amen! I miss those quite newborn baby moments! I still get the toddle ones, but quiet and toddler don't really go together :)