Daisypath Anniversary tickers

9.12.2008

Step Out to Fight Diabetes!!

Many of you know I live with Type 1 Diabetes every day! I have since 1995 when I was diagnosed at the age of 19. I was at Ricks College, just about to graduate with my Associates Degree, when I found out of my chronic disease!!

It's now been 13 1/2 years (tomorrow) since I was diagnosed! I'm still healthy, married (not that you can't get married with diabetes), and I have a BEAUTIFUL little boy who is healthy and strong and does not have diabetes!!! I currently use an Insulin Pump which I wear 24/7.....my lifeline!!
(I love talking about diabetes and sharing what I know and have learned over the years. Yet, I won't go on about my disease at this time, but if you have any questions I will gladly answer them to the best of my knowledge, at any time!!)

NOW FOR THE REASON OF MY POST!

Over on my sidebar of my blog is a link to a web-page about the Annual Step Out to Fight Diabetes Event. It is scheduled for Saturday, September 27th, in the morning at Heritage Park in Salt Lake City!! I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE anyone and everyone who would like to WALK with me on this fall morning to please go to the web-page and sign up to walk with me!! It's FREE to walk...but you can also SPONSOR me by donating to a great cause!! If you are reading this you most likely know ME and therefore YOU are affected by DIABETES!! (and I'm sure I'm not the only one you know!!) Please help! Please SUPPORT me and the search for a CURE!! They are so close...I'm living proof of that!!

My team name if TEAM WOOLERY but I would also like to walk in honor of my brother-in-law Josef Akebrand who has Type 1 diabetes and I believe has had it since around the age of 19 as well!! (Correct me if I'm wrong) He and McKenna live in Germany so they, obviously, won't be here for the event!! Also, in honor of my sweet cousin, Tiffany Knudsen, who passed away last year at the age of 33 due to many complications from her years and years of struggling with diabetes!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for reading about the Step Out Event!!
Love to you all!

10 comments:

Amy said...

I wish I was in Utah to do this with you. My sister was diagnosed with type I when she was 4 years old! She is now almost 24. I'll have to tell her about it, she's at BYU right now.

Jenn said...

I am there for you. Just finished filling out my form to walk with you

Shayna said...

Count me in... just finished fill out the form. I just need to know the time of when it is!!!

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

I'm all signed up! Love ya! mom

McKenna said...

I would love to walk... maybe I'll start a walk on this side of the world.

Good luck, have fun, and of course walk for Josef too!!

KFerrara said...

I think it is great that you are fighting for such a great cause. I whole heartedly believe in this cause (since Tyler has diabetes as well). Maybe we'll see you there and walk for those we love.
Also, just a side note - that I love Tiffany - I worked with her at Wal-Mart.
Karen

becky and tony fenn said...

i wish i could walk with you that day, but i have other commitments that day. my husband has type 2 and we are going to test Johnathan tomorrow for it at the Diabetic center. i will see what extra $ i have to sponcer you. good luck

Mel said...

hey amy! I hope you don't mind- silas gave me your blog. I love to see your darling baby Drew! How are you? How's being home?

Mel said...

Oh- and Jackson is 4 months old!

McKinlay Family said...

Amy, this is Heather (rosenvall) McKinlay (Marilee and Heather's friend from Canada). I was diagnosed with diabetes 51/2 years ago. Type 1. Isn't it fun. I would love to talk to you about your pump and just see you again. You look marvelous BTW.