Daisypath Anniversary tickers

7.09.2009

Sunday, the day of REST...NOT!!

So I've been meaning to post about this for a while now but haven't had time until just now. My entire life I was taught and retaught how Sunday is the day of rest. We don't play outside or with friends. We prepare for Sunday on Saturday making sure all our chores, laundry, etc., etc. are ready so Sunday can be our day of rest, right?? WELL, not this particular Sunday!!

Let me explain....

June 28, 2009

Our ward meets at 1 pm. I was almost excited when we changed in the spring, due to a building change, to the later time for the rest of the year. I was hoping and thinking that it would be perfect for Drew since he always has taken a very good morning nap. Well, to my dismay, Sunday seems to be the day his schedule is just ppplllthhstss (picture me sticking out my tongue and making a thumbs down motion with both my thumbs..got it? good) Moving on...So Drew has been taking a later nap, like, 11am, and sleeping till 1 or so. So instead of waking him (not all the time) we let him sleep and one of us stays with him until he wakes. Well, two Sundays ago it was my turn to head to church on time and then return after Sacrament meeting to pick up my boys. Silas was good with staying with Drew since he was preparing to teach the Sharing Time lesson in Sr. Primary. He was really nervous and wanted to go over his materials and make sure he was all set on his lesson. So I headed off to church and decided (don't tell my parents!!hehehe, funny how I still feel like I'll disappoint!) to leave after the sacrament was passed since it was High Council Sunday....you totally understand, right? :)

As I was leaving the church I could hear a siren coming down the street. So I watched it pass and said to myself,"That better not be going to my house!" You always say that, right? Thinking back, as I got in my car I had this urgent feeling to get home or at least see which direction the ambulance had turned. As I pulled out of the parking lot I didn't see the ambulance anymore so I, of course, proceeded to drive home. As I get to my neighborhood I see my neighbor from our old ward coming out from her backyard and I wave at her and get ready to turn into my neighborhood and with great horror I see the ambulance and fire truck and police AT MY HOUSE!!!! WHAT THE HELL!!! I was freaking out!!! We live on the corner as you come into our neighborhood so I pulled over to the left right on the corner, totally illegal...didn't really care....luckily put the car in park (that's another story), I think I even turned it off and RAN into my house, right behind the EMT's/Paramedics!! I was yelling, "What's wrong? What happened?" My heart beating so fast and the adrenalin just a pumping!!! I was so scared something had happened to Drew!! But I heard Silas saying, even before I could see him, "It's okay, Amy, it's me!! I cut my arm!"

As I came into the kitchen Sigh was sitting in a chair with his arm wrapped up and the BP machine on checking his vitals. There were between 7-10 emergency professionals in my house helping my hurt hubby!! It was very scary!! Silas proceeded to tell me that he had been cutting a cardboard box with box cutters. The box was one of my Usborne boxes..very thick, sturdy cardboard... sitting on the counter. As I see it, I just turned around and said "my favorite swear" as I realized what had happened!! Quite DRAMATIC if I say so myself!!

Well, I really had no idea how bad his cut was because by the time I arrived home it had been bandaged, but that he for sure needed stitches. So we opted out on the Ambulance joyride, grabbed Drew, who had woken up in all the commotion and had started to cry and we headed off to the hospital, all the way in Orem (lovely insurance).

Now, the following are two pictures of Sigh's arm....word to the wise...if you don't like oooey stuff close your eyes and scroll past between 47 to 72 taps (yes, I counted for you)...but if you are like me and LOVE stuff like this...take a look!! It was better in person FOR SURE....I only had my iPhone camera so take my word for it...it was CRAZY deep!! (and cool for that matter)



So what happened was the following...Silas had decided, since he was home, he wanted to make a cool visual for his lesson...great ideas always come last minute, right! As many of you know, Sigh makes amazing things out of cardboard, so these pyramids couldn't be too much work or too hard to whip out in 1/2 an hour or so!! Well...as he made his first cut into the cardboard he knew it was thick and harder to cut through so using a lot of force he started his cut. Well, not only did he make it through the box but kept on going right through his arm. He, of course, cut right through his "armor of steel", his white Sunday shirt. He knew it was bad when the blood started to squirt!! (sorry) Since I wasn't home he tried calling my cell but knew I would be in church and not answer...ironic thing is...I had just put my phone away after putting a few things on my calendar or I would have seen his call. Who knows if I would have gone out to check or answer it...I hope I would have!! I wish I could play back his voice mail for everyone to hear...the seriousness in his voice is disheartening! So, anyway, since he couldn't reach me and most neighbors were at church he called 911. And I'm glad he did!! I would have done the same!

Silas had three layers of stitches... I watched the whole thing...very interesting seeing inside his arm all the way down to muscle! I'm very amazed at how much fatty tissue there is...would not care to see how much my arm has though! :) He had two layers of 5 stitches and the top layer was 15!! So 25 all together!! Way to go honey!!


So what lessons do we learn from this.....

1. We don't cut towards our body....NO...we don't cut towards our body!!
2. Hydrogen Peroxide really does get blood out.
3. If you really wanted a short sleeved Sunday shirt....all you had to do was ask! :)
4. The paramedics are really fast at getting to our house...THANK GOODNESS..and hopefully we never have them over again!!
5. You will, for a couple days, find little spots and trails of blood throughout the injury zone no matter how closely you look and search for them!

When all is said and done I'm so glad and grateful that my sweet hubby is okay!! He's been really good about his sore arm and not really complained too much. He just gets weird shoots of pain in his arm when he extends it in different directions and has a little nerve damage that should heal in a week or two!

Silas got his stitches out last night and the doc who stitched him up was there. He was excited to see how well he had done sewing him back together. Dr. Smith did a great job!

We appreciate everyone being so kind and concerned about what had happened.. The rumors were definitely flying all over church, so we had lots of calls. Hopefully, if you hadn't heard what happened you now know and will sleep better tonight!! Our sweet Bishop even drove out to AF hospital to check on us without knowing that we were actually at Timpanogos Hospital...so thoughful!

So THANKS everyone!!

13 comments:

Marilee said...

Ooooey and gooooey and sooooo cool to see. Wish I could have watched the stitches go in too. I love that stuff...sad that Silas hurt his arm though, that it gave you a heart attack and that Drew woke up crying with all the commotion. Certainly a good story though!

Three Men and a Janie said...

That is crazy. Wow! What a story. Glad Silas is going to be okay...

And I hear you on the whole nap thing. Church is torture with kids who need a nap...

Sidemoss said...

Make sure to click on the photos to get a really good close-up. Nasty!

McKenna said...

Awesome!

I guess Silas has finally learned that; "Saturday is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday, we make our projects and we don't delay, so we can prevent some deep cuts on Sunday."

kimbob said...

It's good to get the whole story with pictures on here. Facebook is great too, since that's where I first read about it. Glad to hear he's doing good

Kim said...

Oh my goodness. It is a good thing you sluffed the rest of sacrament. You can always tell people you just followed tour heart. i'm glad he's doing better.

Ty and Tiff said...

Oh my gosh! I am glad that he is okay...I guess rumor doesn't travel down to our end of the neighborhood as quickly because I had no idea. Thank heavens he was calm enough to call 911... I am glad that he didn't just try to drive himself to the hospital when he couldn't get a hold of you (and I am really glad that it wasn't Drew!!)

Heather said...

Love that you took pics! I am glad he is doing better and the stitches are out!

Tyler's Blog said...

Man didnt you ever get your Totin' Chip in scouting! :) Anyway I am glad your not dead! :) See you Sunday!!!

Tyler

Family Scads said...

I can't wait to show this to Nate, he will think that it's so awesome (such a nurse behavior). I'm so glad that everything was alright and that he was able to call 911. I swear all most of our excitement has happened on a Sunday as well...go figure right?

Julie said...

McKenna's song was cute! Anyways, crazy crazy crazy stuff. I'm soooooooooooo glad he's okay and I'm soooooooooooo glad you didn't have a heart attack when you saw that the emt vehicles were actually at your house! I also like that you put if he wanted a short sleeve white shirt all he had to do was ask. That made me laugh!

Lindsay said...

That was so awesomely gross! I have never seen a cut so deep! I am glad all turned out well and that now you do know that the paramedics can get to your house fast if they need to! I hope they don't need to ever again!

Lindsy said...

So I clicked on the picture to see it better... Bad Idea!! That is insane. He almost cut his arm off! I would call 911 as well. Did he pass out? So glad to hear it healed well and everything is okay. Sorry, you had to go through that. Now I am on my way upstairs to show Adam.